Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Justin Bieber Music Video-Analysis

*Disclaimer: I claim nothing.
One of the many cars Justin is seen driving.
The Justin Bieber Music Video. It is filled with various eye catching things that even I did not notice until I watched it five times.
In the video, Justin Bieber is singing his new single "Boyfriend" while driving around in cars, dancing with a bunch of guys, and getting comfortable with the many women featured in the video.
But there is much more to this video than what you see the first time you watch it.  
A Ford Mustang 2010. Not too shabby.

First off is the multiple cars Justin is shown in. This yellow car looks like a Ford GT but I'm no master at identifying cars from the behind. Sportscars like this tend to be quite expensive so it is a sign of wealth when Justin has not one, but four cars of similar caliber or better.
Like this one.

Or this car.
They seem to be beyond the average person's price range, but have a feeling of being cool cars. The car technique appeals to those who don't have the fancy cars sitting in their driveways. I think if I owned one of the cars Justin has in his music video, I wouldn't care less about the cars. But since I don't, I think they are a symbol of status.

Other ways this video attracts interest: the actors. Teenagers or at the very least, young adults, clutter the scene. They all appear to be having a good time, dancing, riding in cars, and messing with members of the opposite genders. From this, I gathered that the target audience is teen age, perhaps from ages 12-20.

Girls lean on cars, guys ride on skateboards, and there is a hint of mischief in that couple. You also notice that the females are wearing very revealing clothing from short shorts to midriff tops. The feeling is heated yet intriguing. It gives the viewer a feeling of anticipation.
See what I mean about the revealing clothing?

Overall, I think this video was interesting. It's fascinating to watch an older version of Bieber try new tactics on us, the audience. But, personally, I like the song better than the video. I don't want to look like those dancers nor will I ever want to. But then again, this video was not targeted at me, but rather the general teenager. It is meant for those who wish to be part of the "In" crowd.

Good luck to those who are sold on the idea that owning expensive cars, skimpy clothing and having a boyfriend/girlfriend will make you part of the "In" group. It doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you wrote about this. I was thinking about writing about this music video, but I am glad that someone else did. So, like you, I agree that this video tries to sell the idea that you want to be a part of the "in" crowd, and that the audience is mainly the average teen. I am a Justin Bieber fan in all, but, I got to say, how does this video even relate to the lyrics? When I first watched the teasers that they put out for this video, I thought it was going to be a decent video. But, all of a sudden, when it blacks out, and the song starts over again, I began to question why they would put out all of the teasers, and then veer away from what they were originally going to do. Once I viewed the video, my mind told me that this was just an awkward video. I mean, the whole video is a diversion from the lyrics. The lyrics are talking about him being your boyfriend, but then it is a video that is basically showcasing him driving different cars? How is that relatable at all. Also, I believe that it uses snob appeal, because as you said, they would have to be of the upper class to afford that type of car. I was so glad that you analyzed this video, because I had a lot to say about it.

    ReplyDelete