Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Vet and the Noob: MW3 Ad



Well, what do you know? A Modern Warfare 3 advertisement. Let us analyze it for advertising techniques.

Add stubble to any guy and he immediately looks like an expert.
First, we are brought into a huge battle-ground. We see "The Vet" (aka Veteran) preparing his gun for the fight. He looks like he knows what he is doing. Can't you tell from his stubble and faraway look in his eyes that he is a professional?

And then there's this guy:
Yep, he's a nOOb alright.
One thing I dislike is the people who whip out a grenade and explode next to me. Not very pleasant. This picture and title "The nOOb" plays on many gamers old memories from when they were that inexperienced. It relates to the more experienced gamers out there.

I certainly remember when I did that. Sometimes I still do...
How low can you go? Don't get hit with that rocket, now.
Like my previous post on the Old Spice Commercial, this advertisement for Modern Warfare 3 also has many moments of explosions and action. Such as the above picture. How many places have you watched a guy limbo underneath a speeding rocket? Based off of just these few pictures, we can make an educated guess that the target audience is young males, ranging from teens to late twenties.

The landscape starts with a war-torn New York, then a half-destroyed Berlin, coming to a decimated Paris, and finally riding on a plane under siege from Moscow. It seems to be futuristic at moments such as the zero-gravity scene in the plane:

Ha ha, NASA. We have zero-gravity too! Whee!!!
One of the memorable parts of the entire commercial is in this section. The Vet is awesome at shooting in midair, but the nOOb's facial expression is priceless.

I think I may lose my lunch!
You can see the face and start giggling as the nOOb is slack-jawed with amazement. It creates the feeling that this game (Modern Warfare 3) will create feelings of amazement and thrill for you. Additionally, for those who have played the game realize that this airplane scene is from the time when you must secure/capture the Russian president. Later, when you actually play the mission, you'll be like, "Oh! I remember this! It was in that commercial!"

Of course, there's also more explosions.
AND...add another building to our growing list of property damage.
Finally, the Finale arrives. At the very end of the ad, you see the nOOb is no longer a beginner, but a master.

The nOOb becomes professional...just by putting on sunglasses.
The host of No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain, also uses this tactic to appear smooth or cool. Put on a pair of sunglasses and stare off somewhere. BAM! Instant cool factor.

See what I mean? Sunglasses make you that much cooler.
I found this advertisement entertaining but I noticed that, if you have no idea what Modern Warfare 3 is or what it is about, you might not understand the message the advertisers are putting out in this clip. If I didn't play it, I know I wouldn't understand what the commercial was trying to say to me.

Good luck, bon voyage, and if you play MW3, I fully approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment