Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What Should I do? -LeBron James Nike Commercial

If you wish to see LeBron James ask you what he should do for the 450th time, click on the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtejCR413c

And thus fell the Roman Empire. With a Nike logo on it.
This is obviously a Nike commercial. I don't think anyone could miss that from seeing LeBron James and noticing the various Nike symbols located throughout the ad. The picture above shows us that Nike is somehow associated with a need to achieve. There is a man facing towards what most people would presume is heaven. And then the phrase, "We are all witnesses." Without the conveniently placed, sky-ward facing man, I would have been at a loss. A witness to what?

And to conclude....wait. Where has everyone gone?
Here is an interesting scene, though I'm not entirely sure of it's significance. LeBron is supposedly about to give a speech to the waiters and waitresses because no one else found it beneficial to come. It shows his lack of friends, fans, or sponsors. Perhaps it plays on some recent event that happened to LeBron, like a loss of the championship or something.
I'm not a role model. Just a really good actor when it come to sad faces...
We get a nice clear view of LeBron and guess what? It's in black and white! This creates a feeling of tradition or how things were in the olden times. It seems to be an appeal to tradition. Then, things start getting funky. LeBron goes from a serious looking face to this:
MMMM! DOUGHNUT IS GOOD!
Humor is added in this scene. Not only does LeBron take a big, fat bite out of a doughnut, but he winks at you too. I almost want to add my own voice to that section, "Nom. Nom. DOUGHNUT TASTY. MMM. CREAM FILLING!" The doughnut also marks the beginning of happiness and fun, because all after that, LeBron does a variety of fun things to show a transition.
Someone is going to need Tylenol...

LeBron James: Former Basketball Player. Now: Desperado in the Wild West.
I'm a cop now, too. No messing with me...
These selections of clips and more humor to the video. Additionally, the Miami Vice show can appeal to older viewers of the commercial. It was a cop show featured on television during the 1980s about two cops in Miami. Because I haven't actually watched the show, I can't tell you much more about it, but you can check its Wikipedia article for information.

Also, the main thing you hear coming out of LeBron's mouth is "What should I do? Should I do insert action here?" Nike appears to be the solution at the end of the clip because it says:
Again, with the vague command! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Just do it. Just do what? What should I just do? And why? It leaves me with many unanswered questions, leading me to believe this is gestalt. I could compose a plethora of questions for the Nike company. Who made you the boss of me, Nike? (Hey, that rhymes!)

One final feature is the Nike symbol that appears everywhere. You are exposed to it at least three times, like on: the falling poster with the happy man, on the shoes LeBron looks at in the commercial, or this-
It's even certified! See the logo? Bow before it!
That is all for now! Thank you for reading and if you found something else interesting about the ad, please leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment